Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
1 posts
794 visits

State emergency relief Michigan

What's your take? (click here)

Michigan Home Heating Credit,1607,7-124-5453_5531-15420--,00.html

Cllick the link to find out more about heating assistance in Michigan and other programs.

Heating and cooling

LIHEAP is federal money given to each state to assist low-income families with energy costs. In Michigan, the LIHEAP block grant is used for the following programs:

    * Home Heating Credit
    * State Emergency Relief (SER)
    * Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Home Heating Credit

The Home Heating Credit is available to all low-income households. The Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and makes the payments. You do not need to file a state income tax return to receive the Home Heating Credit. You may apply for the Home Heating Credit only. Eligibility is based on income, number of exemptions and household heating costs.

Application forms are available from the Department of Treasury, local Department of Human Services offices and anywhere Michigan tax return forms are available. Forms are automatically mailed to households who received a credit last year. Applications are available from mid to late January and may be made through September 30 of each year.

Request a Home Heating Credit Claim form (MI-1040CR-7) from the list of forms on the Michigan Department of Treasury website or for more information go to the Energy Assistance Programs Home Heating Creditweb site.

State Emergency Relief (SER)

The State Emergency Relief (SER) program is administered by the Department of Human Services (DHS). An application is needed to request assistance and an appointment is generally required. To apply, please contact the  local DHS office in the county in which you reside.

SER is a crisis intervention program and provides services such as payment for heating fuel, electricity and home repairs. Eligibility is based on:

    * demonstration of immediate need (shut off notice), or
    * declared need for a deliverable fuel such as fuel oil, or
    * verified need for energy related home repair, and
    * income, and
    * assets.

SER Payments

    * Heating fuel has an annual maximum of $550 to $1,100 depending on the fuel type. The maximum payment may change based on available funding.
    * State Energy-related home repairs have a $4,000 lifetime limit per household.
    * Heat, Electric and home repairs are only issued to enrolled LIHEAP providers. The enrollment form is the DHS-355, Energy Supplier Participation Agreement.

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)

Michigan's Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a federally funded, low-income residential energy conservation program. The program provides free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. These services reduce energy use and lower utility bills, thus creating more self-sufficient households. Services are typically administered by local Community Action Agencies and include:

    * Wall Insulation
    * Attic Insulation and Ventilation
    * Foundation Insulation
    * Air Leakage Reduction
    * Smoke Detectors
    * Dryer Venting

For more information on LIHEAP, call the toll free DHS Energy Hotline at 1-800-292-5650 between the hours of 8:00 am - 4:45 pm Monday through Friday.

For more about Energy Assistance Programs click on the button below.

Energy Assistance Programs

LIHEAP State Plans and Amendments
Talk to Starshine